AT A GLANCE
LAND AREA: 743 SQUARE MILES
PERSONS PER SQUARE MILE (2010): 435
POPULATION (2012 ESTIMATE): 333,895
COLLEGE GRADUATES: 26 PERCENT
MEAN TRAVEL TIME TO WORK: 23.6 MINUTES
Source: U.S. Census Bureau
If you’re searching for the laid-back, old-Florida atmosphere that’s fast disappearing in other parts of the state, look no further than Manatee County.
Here, life revolves around the great outdoors—the white-sand beaches of Anna Maria Island; fishing, hiking, bicycling and kayaking at beautifully maintained public parks like 365-acre Emerson Point Preserve and 487-acre Robinson Preserve, located at the mouth of the Manatee River; and the fabulous new $6.2-million Riverwalk that meanders along a mile-and-a-quarter of the Manatee River in downtown Bradenton, with its own children’s splash park, fishing pier, tidal discovery zone and amphitheater that hosts live concerts and outdoor movie screenings.
Way, way back in 1539, Spanish conquistador Hernando de Soto and his crew of 600 landed on the banks of the Manatee River to start their infamous 4,000-mile journey across the southeastern United States. That spot is now commemorated by the De Soto National Monument, with its guided mangrove trail walks and living history demonstrations.
Old-timey McKechnie Field, where the Pittsburgh Pirates have held spring training for 91 years, was built in 1923. A $10 million facelift in 2013 expanded seating to 8,500. More than 100,000 attend summer league games there to cheer on the Pirates’ minor league team, the Bradenton Marauders. Youth sports are thriving, too, thanks to complexes like the 140-acre Premier Sports Campus at Lakewood Ranch, whose 22 playing fields host major soccer, lacrosse, youth football and other tourneys.
Shopping is also considered a sport in Manatee County. Ellenton Premier Outlets, with 130 brand-name outlet stores, is a powerhouse regional shopping magnet. And the new University Town Center, slated to open in October 2014, is on University Parkway just south of the Manatee County line.
The arts thrive here, too. The award-winning Manatee Players community theater troupe opened its long-awaited Manatee Performing Arts Center in downtown Bradenton in 2013 to rave reviews; State College of Florida mounts rotating exhibits in its Fine Arts Gallery and plays host to the Sarasota Orchestra in its 837-seat Neel Performing Arts Center. A family-friendly Art Slam each spring draws thousands to downtown Bradenton to watch visual artists in action and to create their own future masterpieces. And the popular new Bradenton Blues Festival brings famous performers to town.
Bradenton Real Estate Listings
Active Listings in Bradenton
- 5641 Key Largo Court, Unit C-04 BRADENTON, FL 34203
- 4688 72nd Court E BRADENTON, FL 34203
- 7610 Partridge Street Circle BRADENTON, FL 34202
- 4510 Windsor Court E BRADENTON, FL 34203
- 1030 Tidewater Shores Loop, Unit 104 BRADENTON, FL 34208
- 2415 Mizner Bay Avenue BRADENTON, FL 34208
- 2317 Mizner Bay Avenue BRADENTON, FL 34208
- 2419 Mizner Bay Avenue BRADENTON, FL 34208
- 2423 Mizner Bay Avenue BRADENTON, FL 34208
- 4227 Presidential Avenue Circle E BRADENTON, FL 34203
- 6116 46th Lane E BRADENTON, FL 34203
- 3980 Ironwood Circle, Unit 102 BRADENTON, FL 34209
- 9103 Stone Harbour Loop BRADENTON, FL 34212
Sold Listings in Bradenton
- 2015 3rd Avenue E BRADENTON, FL 34208
- 6124 43rd Street W, Unit 308A BRADENTON, FL 34210
- 5707 45th Street E, Unit 45 BRADENTON, FL 34203
- 2880 48th Way E BRADENTON, FL 34203
- 5011 Mangrove Point Road BRADENTON, FL 34210
- 3412 79th Street Circle W, Unit 303 BRADENTON, FL 34209
- 3422 Wood Owl Circle BRADENTON, FL 34210
- 235 Golden Harbour Trail BRADENTON, FL 34212
- 1150 Faith Circle E, Unit 2205 BRADENTON, FL 34212
Walk Score for Bradenton
Bradenton School Data
Bradenton School Districts
We’re sorry, we were unable to load the school district data. Please check back soon.
We’re sorry, we were unable to load the school data. Please check back soon.